People write down New Year resolutions in a variety of categories, like health, happiness, family and so on….I feel like beauty should have its own category too. It’s my job to be beauty obsessed and I love it, but there are always areas of improvement for me, and maybe for you, too. I think there are a few things we all need to do more this new year…some of them are things that you have heard me say over and over again… but yes ill keep ringing it in your ears till it sinks in, and trust you will thank me later. These are the things I plan to do more in 2016
1. Wear sunscreen every single day: I’m pretty good with this, I never leave my house without sunscreen on my face…I use it underneath my makeup and then use my primer on top. I’m great with applying SPF on my face, and all over especially if I plan to spend long hours under the sun, but I need to be more aware of my neck and chest, and other sneaky areas, like my hands. Be sure to apply all year round, and also I need to learn to add an extra coat of sunscreen on my hands when I am getting a gel manicure because of the UV lights used to dry the nails.
2. Washing my makeup brushes: speaking of brushes ill like to mention their somewhat high maintenance nature. If you don’t wash your brushes regularly, not only are you leaving them open to bacteria, which leads to possibly breakouts, it also means that your brushes wont pick up pigment and work as well as it should. It can also be annoying and long but if you use a brush cleaner it is much easier and faster. So for me I’m setting a specific time (Sunday afternoon at 2pm) to do this chore every week. This gives me enough time to allow my brushes to dry naturally. Put a calendar reminder in your phone.
3. Being more adventurous with makeup (and hairstyles). It’s so easy to get into a makeup routine, but people like MakeupShyla do a great job of switching it up. Celebs on Instagram are a great inspiration for trying new things, gold eye shadow, bold red lips. Amrezy always mixes it up, glossy lips, matte, dark lips, Coloured eyeliner she isn’t afraid….. And why should she be? Its makeup she can wash it off!!!! I’m aiming to try more bold lipsticks, especially red, definitely going out of my comfort zone since I rocked nude lips mostly in 2015.
4. Book in for regular facials: Looking after your skin is a bit like looking after your teeth. While you may brush and floss regularly, you still need to see the dentist for a deep clean and check up. I have a fantastic facial routine and really good products I use on my skin, even though this might seem enough it just isn’t. I know that times are tough in this economy and it’s undeniably smart to cut back on extraneous purchases. However, this is my opinion on why a monthly facial is a good investment. Your skin is always on display and often has the power to dictate how good we feel about ourselves. Investing in proper skincare has a value that can be arguably more important than buying a new dress or going out to a fancy restaurant or even taking an expensive vacation (a facial is a mini-vacation). A facial will cleanse the pores on a much deeper level, Extractions/cleaning out the pores can help to maintain clear skin, stop acne formation, as well as can help to change the pore’s size. Often times left unchecked, pores can start to stretch and widen with the accumulation of oil and dirt. So I have decided to get a facial monthly.
5. Hair and Skin masks. Hair and skin masks are fun to use and make a huge difference for soft, shiny hair and clear skin. I really love the Dead Sea mud mask from pure body naturals at the moment. I love the way my skin feels after, its simply amazing. And I also love the Cantu hair masque, it leaves my hair moisturized and soft, I would use this once a month going forward. I would also like to apply a facemask once a week at a time that’s perfect for me.
6. Look after my natural nails: As ridiculous as it sounds, a manicure is one of the first things people will notice about your appearance, especially if you work in an office. For a while I have been using nail extensions and acrylic, while it looks beautiful it also makes my nails underneath very soft. I would like to take a break from nail extensions and grow my own nails. Strong, long and healthy!!! My nail inspiration is Ez from BIL her natural nails are amazing and ill like mine to look like hers some-day…hahahha.
These are my beauty resolutions ……please feel free to share yours with me below.